Studying philosophy has a wide-ranging value that can, in a variety of ways, help you accomplish your life’s goals. In the articles and links below, you’ll find some representative information that indicates the value of a philosophy degree whether you intend to seek employment in the marketplace right after graduation, plan to go to graduate school, or start out in full-time vocational ministry.
Employment in the Marketplace
Did you know that graduates with degrees in philosophy often climb the corporate ladder higher than those who graduate with degrees in business? For more information, see the following articles:
‣ A Case for Majoring in Philosophy (Forbes)
‣ How to get to the top – Study philosophy (The Globe & Mail)
‣ I Think; Therefore, I Earn (The Guardian)
‣ Philosophy’s Makeover (University Affairs)
‣ Is Philosophy the Most Practical Major? (The Atlantic)
‣ Is a Philosophy Degree Useful? (Psychology Today)
‣ More Things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio (Times Higher Education)
‣ The Earning Power of Philosophy Majors (The Atlantic)
‣ Philosophers Find the Degree Pays Off in Life and in Work (New York Times)
‣ 9 Famous Execs who Majored in Philosophy (Business Insider)
‣ The Management Myth (The Atlantic)
‣ A Harvard Medical Professor Makes the Case for the Liberal Arts and Philosophy (Washington Post)
‣ That ‘Useless’ Liberal Arts Degree Has Become Tech’s Hottest Ticket (Forbes)
‣ The Unexpected Way Philosophy Majors are Changing the World of Business (Huffington Post)
Also, be sure to check out the University of Tennessee’s helpful Philosophy: What Can I Do with this Degree? This chart shows how the philosophy major can be used to get started in various other careers.
Going to Graduate School
Did you know that philosophy majors consistently score higher on graduate school entrance exams like the GRE, the GMAT, and the LSAT than any other major? For more information, see the summary of test scores compiled by the Chronicle of Higher Education (link). If you want to get into an MA, PhD, or Law program, you should know that Tyndale Philosophy has a proven track record of success. Check out these links related to our program:
‣ Improving Student Opportunities (Tyndale Update, Fall 2015 [pdf]).
‣ Preparing for Graduate School (Tyndale.ca, Nov 2015)
‣ The Do’s of Applying to Grad School (Canon 25)
‣ Tyndale Philosophy Majors: Graduate Programs Attended (2000-2018)
‣ Tyndale Philosophy Alumni: Where Are They Now? (Google Maps)
Making a Difference in Ministry
Did you know that training in philosophy is one of the best ways to understand and communicate with non-believers? For an inspiring story on how some philosophers are making a difference for the Kingdom of God, read Wm. Lane Craig’s God is not Dead (Christianity Today).